THX Video Calibration Training
The THX Certified Professional Video Calibration course provides professional video calibrators the most in-depth and comprehensive calibration training available today. THX training workshops are based on years of expertise in the physics of video and psycho-visual perception. Proven facts, solid concepts and decades of expertise come together in this unique, top rate workshop.
Join THX for a three-day Professional Video Systems Calibration workshop and gain the hands-on experience and skills you need to properly calibrate modern high definition video systems – practical knowledge that can start generating revenue for your business immediately.
Benefits of becoming a THX Certified Professional Video Systems Calibrator:
- Obtain the Video Calibration Certification
- Three instruction days, including two days of coached hands-on calibrating exercises
- Exposure and practice using a variety of the world’s best display devices and measurement equipment
- Access to the exclusive THX Video Calibrators' forum and extra-net, which provides service menu data and calibration advice directly from THX professionals
- Your services and certification listed on the THX.com Web site
- Have access to use the coveted THX Certified Professional Video Calibration logo
- Offer your clients Professional THX Certified Video Calibration services
- A free demo DVD from THX
- CEDIA CEU Credit - 8.00 units (CEUP347)
Professional Certification Requirements:
- Attend the entire Video Calibration workshop
- Complete and pass Video Calibration online exam within 3 weeks of your course date
- Submit ten sample video calibrations for approval via the Web
- Prior THX Home Theater 1 Certification, or the completion of a Introduction to THX online exam
General Course Information
THX Education Program workshops include lunch on each day of the training. Attendees must cover their travel costs including airfare, hotels, parking and transportation, as well as breakfast and dinner. THX will provide all necessary classroom and workshop material, a certificate of completion and other cool THX stuff.
Hours of each day: 9am to 6pm. Plan travel generously to allow for possible traffic or other delays.
About the Course:
The THX Certified Professional Video Systems Calibration Workshop is a professional program designed to take video calibrators to the next level. Comprised of workbook focused exercises on the first day, followed by two full days of supervised, hands-on practice, this THX workshop provides you with the necessary tools to start offering calibration services immediately.
During the interactive session you will be working with professional calibration equipment from manufacturers such as Minolta, Photo Research, Sencore, Progressive Labs and Gretag MacBeth. In addition, you will receive hands-on training on more than a dozen different types of displays including, LCD and Plasma panels, DLP and LCD projectors (with and without an anamorphic lens), various high end video processors, and multiple high end Blu-Ray, HD DVD and SD DVD players - all loaded with the latest HD and SD test discs. THX emphasizes color management systems and how to best adjust them to achieve true reference colors.
As soon as you complete this course you will be registered to access the THX Video Calibrators’ forum, www.thxvideotech.com. This unique community gives you key industry information, such as the service level calibration codes needed for top quality calibration, as well as a direct Q&A forum to support you when working in the field.
In addition to being able to offer a premium calibration service, you are equipped with a THX Calibration Kit. This kit includes a "THX Calibrated" plaque, a "THX Calibrated" certificate, and a thank you letter from THX. You will also have the option to provide your customers with a complimentary copy of the highly coveted THX Demo Disc II, which is rarely made available to consumers. This marketing tool can be used to generate additional sales, helping to offset the cost of the workshop itself.
You are welcome to bring your own calibration tools to class. However, if you are interested in purchasing equipment, this class will help you identify the right tools to fit your needs.
Your course rate includes:
- All instruction
- Practical interactive exercises using state-of-the-art equipment
- Comprehensive course book
- Morning snacks and a full lunch each day
- A selection of THX branded merchandise
- Day One
- History of Television (brief)
- Why We Calibrate
- What Makes a "Good" Image, Just Noticeable Differences (JND), and Video Performance
- Signal Path and Optimization Strategies
- Calibration Process
- Contrast Ratios and Screen Uniformity (Lab #1)
- Geometry & Convergence
- Contrast and Brightness (Lab #2)
- Color, Tint and Color Decoding (Lab #3)
- Sharpness and Enhancement Controls (Lab #4)
- Day Two
- Calibration Process and Integration of Signal Generators
- Grayscale and Gamma
- Software and Hardware Choices (Lab #5)
- Competing Display Technologies
- Hands-On Grayscale Calibration with Different Technologies (Lab #6)
- Overview of Front Projector Setup, Hands-on Training, Keystone and Other Geometry Corrections & Screen Technologies
- Scaling Technologies
- Day Three
- Processing Issues; Progressive/Interlace
- De-interlacing with Examples from HD and DVD Benchmark Discs
- Environmental Issues
- Color Science and Color Standards Including Color Gamut (CCA and CMS) Management
- Approach to Calibrating CCA and CMA … Examples of Different Systems (Lab #7)
- Day & Night Modes (Lab #8)
- Calibrating to Black & White Films
- CRT Calibration Items
- Online Exam & In-Field Calibration
- Summary & Putting it All Together
NOW ADDED: 4th Day of HDR Specific HANDS ON TRAINING by LionAVTech. $699 as a stand alone class, $499 in combination with THX Video Training Level I and II. Offered immediately after all THX Video Training at all locations. THIS CLASS IS NOW OFFICIALLY THX VIDEO LEVEL III. You may take this class as a stand alone option but to be granted THX Video III Certification you must have also attended the THX Video Level I and II courses within the past 4 years.
THX Brand Power
Born out of the Star Wars legacy and tied to world’s most acclaimed filmmakers and premium home entertainment products, no other brand resonates with consumers as deeply, and with greater trust than THX.
For 25 years THX has been a leader in bringing the best entertainment experience to the consumer, from the big screen to the home. In addition to the certification of cinemas and professional mixing studios, THX works with the major electronics manufacturers to bring consumers the best in home theater equipment.
THX Does Video
THX is your premier choice for training in video system design, setup and calibration. THX training workshops are based on years of expertise in the physics of video and psycho-visual perception. Proven facts, solid concepts and decades of expertise come together in this unique, top rate, one of a kind workshop. Once certified, THX trained Professional Video Systems Calibrators will be able to offer THX Calibrated Display services to their customers as a premium offering.
As the market for complex high definition, video systems continues to grow in the coming years, consumers will look to professional calibrators in greater numbers than ever before. The key to success in this highly lucrative field is to identify yourself as an elite, educated member of the expanding pool of THX Certified Professional Video Systems Calibrators.
Completing the THX Certified Professional Video Systems Calibration workshop, and obtaining the Video Calibration certification will provide you with more unique benefits, unlike those found in any other program. Your THX certification will serve to differentiate you and your business in a way that will enhance your bottom-line and reputation for years to come.
The THX Certified Professional Video Calibrator Advantage:
- Use of the prestigious THX mark for advertising your business, in print ads, on your business cards, and your Web site. No other brand can signal quality, act to differentiate, or bring the high level of assurance to your clients in the way that THX can.
- An exclusive listing on the THX.com Web site, letting consumers find your business when seeking a top specialist to meet their calibration needs.
- The ability to conduct a THX Certified Video Calibration, allowing you to provide your customers with a plaque that shows their display has been calibrated by a THX Professional, to exacting standards.
- Access to a unique Video Display Systems database, with countless listings of consumer service menu codes. You will be equipped to access and calibrate all of the latest models in your customers' homes.
- Entry to a Professional Video Calibrator forum, a great place to share and obtain information with fellow THX professionals across the country.
- A 15% discount to all merchandise sold on the THX merchandise store. Get geared up with all the latest THX merchandise at great prices.